The Biological Science Department contributes to the vision and mission of the University in training undergraduate and graduate students with requisite skills needed for positions in industries, health sectors, research institutes and to prepare them for graduate and professional studies in the applied areas of Biology and Microbiology.
The department offers courses in all major fields of Biological Sciences. Each unit in the Department offers the core courses in Biology and Microbiology and students have the opportunity to take electives courses from other related fields for a better understanding of their area of specialization.
The programmes in the department have been designed to provide students with a broad and balanced foundation in Life Sciences that can lead to fulfilling their careers. Current research focus includes:
– Plant Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
– Stress Physiology (high and low temperature, salinity and flooding stress, molecular and physiological characterization of plant response to stress)
– Synthesis of nanomaterials and their applications
– Cellular Parasitology
– Applied, Molecular & Environmental Microbiology and Public Health.
– Secondary metabolites from Beneficial Bacteria with applications in Crop Protection/Biological Control
– Plant-Microbe Interactions and Plant Pathology
– Microbial Ecology and Ecosystem Resilience
– Plant Biotechnology
The department offers degree programmes leading to the award of Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Biology, Biotechnology and Microbiology. All academic and technical staff in the Department are qualified, accomplished and well-experienced scientists who are committed to imparting quality education to students. Additionally, the Department has sufficient teaching, laboratory and research materials.